I cried during The Dark Knight Rises.
I was a little late to the game, since I had only seen Batman
Begins once years ago and had never watched The Dark Knight all the
way through. So in the two weeks before The Dark Knight Rises was
released, I saw the first two parts of the trilogy and loved them; and the
third movie blew me away. I’m sure there will be any number of interpretations
about the class warfare Bane exploits to create his dystopia and how that
relates to the 99%, especially as Bruce Wayne/Batman’s identity as an underdog and
a billionaire fluctuates throughout the film. But to me, the most salient
aspect of the movie was the thread that runs through Nolan’s trilogy: what is a
hero?
I found myself thinking about epic heroes (surprise!) and
where Batman would fall on that spectrum. Unlike the heroes of the Iliad,
Batman sacrifices a great deal for the people of Gotham (like Selina Kyle says, "Once you’ve done what you had to do, they’ll never let you do what you want to
do"); but Batman receives nothing in return, unless you count all the cool toys
he gets from Morgan Freeman. Particularly at the beginning of The Dark
Knight Rises, Batman has more in common with Aeneas—he’s conflicted, internally
focused, and struggling with private guilt more than public shame.
I can’t imagine that Christopher Nolan spends a lot of time
thinking about ancient epic, because that would be too wonderful. But there’s
no doubt that his exploration of heroism is central to Christian Bale’s Batman.
Though unbelievably wealthy, Batman is just a guy. He’s not from another
planet, like Thor or Superman. He doesn’t have any innate superpowers. He just
chooses to behave heroically. And sometimes not so heroically. Remember in The
Dark Knight when he hacked all the cell phones in Gotham so he could find
the Joker? Effective, yes. But Bruce Wayne is still Big Brother in that part of the movie. In their video "Why
Batman is Secretly Terrible for Gotham," Cracked.com asks, "Why don’t you just
admit that Batman is a violent, maladjusted sociopath who is using his parents’
death as an excuse to work out his aggression?" While I wouldn’t go that far, I
think the point here is that Bruce Wayne/Batman is a real guy. He makes questionable
judgments. He oversteps boundaries. He’s relatable.
But the most attractive and heroic thing about Bruce Wayne
is his commitment to his ideals. He decides that valuable things are worth
fighting for, like law and order in Gotham. For those causes he becomes whatever
he needs to be; and when his dreams don’t materialize, when the Joker breaks
the man Wayne considered the best in Gotham, his vision is shattered and he
withdraws from everything. I think one of the best lines in the film is Miranda
Tate’s: "You have a practiced apathy, Mr. Wayne. But a man who doesn’t care
doesn’t spend half his fortune on a plan to save the world. And isn’t so
wounded when it fails that he goes into hiding." Nolan conveys Wayne’s brokenness
effectively with a limp that miraculously disappears when he decides to get
back in the game and fight for Gotham again. (Digression: I read a lot of
reviews right after the movie came out, and many writers complained that Batman’s
leg healing so quickly was unrealistic. Come on, people. It’s symbolic. Read a
damn book.)
Bruce Wayne, like John Blake, turns his rage, sorrow and
pain into a drive and a commitment powerful enough to effect change. There is a
lot of ugliness and evil in the world, and according to the League of Shadows,
places and people who seem hopelessly damaged should be destroyed. At his core,
Batman is someone who believes battered and fragmented things are still worth
saving. Sam sums this attitude up in The Two Towers when he says, "There’s
some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it’s worth fighting for."
In other words, people like Batman because he fights for an
idea that we would all like to believe and often struggle to remember. Yes,
there is a plenty of ugliness and devastation in the world. But that ugliness
also presents a thousand opportunities for restoration.
No comments:
Post a Comment